Civil Engineer - EIT
This position works with and supports our Civil Engineering group. He/She will perform engineering duties in planning and designing, as well as oversee construction of building structures, roads, railroads, bridges, channels, dams, pipelines, and water and sewage systems.
With direct supervision candidate should provide:
- Methodical approach to problem solving
- Initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently
- Excellent verbal communication skills to confidently interact with clients and team members
- Excellent written communication skills and attention to detail, as well as the ability to create accurate technical drawings and produce thorough reports
- Analyze survey reports, maps, and other similar data to plan and design development projects
- Evaluate and apply standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria, using judgment in making substantial engineering adaptations and modifications to assigned aspects of storm sewer design, hydraulic and hydrologic (H&H) analysis, and water/wastewater
- Consideration of construction costs, government regulations, potential environmental hazards, and other factors during the planning and risk-analysis stages of a project
- Compile and submit permit applications to local, state, and federal agencies, verifying that projects comply with various regulations
- Assist in the planning, designing, monitoring and/or managing of projects and programs for substantial new construction, renovation and improvement projects for commercial property facilities encompassing highly specialized or unique requirements.
- Analyze the results of construction materials testing on materials, such as concrete, asphalt, or steel, during the construction administration phase of projects
- Use design software to plan and design transportation systems, hydraulic systems, and structures in line with transportation industry and government standards
- Perform or assist in surveying operations to establish building locations, site layouts, reference points, grades, and elevations to guide construction
- Preparing technical and regulatory reports for submittal to clients and state/federal agencies
- Team player; with a can-do attitude that is positive, supportive and cooperative
- Technical Capacity
- Problem Solving/Analysis and solution oriented
- Communication Proficiency
- Collaboration Skills.
- Strong planning and organization skills; ability to multitask and be a self-starter
- Accountable and Responsible. Adaptable to change
- Customer/Client focus.
- Detailed oriented, thorough and accurate
- Results Driven
Work Experience Requirements:
- Minimum of 1-2 years experience in land development or Civil Construction
- Proficient and proven knowledge of physical sciences and mathematics, including experience of the mechanics of solids (particularly of soils), hydraulics, theory of structure, strength of materials, engineering geology and surveying.
- Advanced understanding of civil design and construction, including public infrastructure projects
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite programs (working knowledge of Word and Excel)
- Proficiency in Autodesk CAD products, specifically Civil 3D
- Working knowledge of basic engineering calculations
- Familiarization with QMS for Industrial Railroad track design & engineering; ex Union Pacific, BNSF, etc.
- National and State Safety and Site-specific certifications, including but not limited to eRailSafe, ISN, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or closely related engineering degree from an accredited college or university
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, depending on field assignments. Typical office environment working with computers at a desk for long periods of time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, however, construction and field site visits can be severe (i.e. Railroad facilities, inside factories, construction equipment, jack hammers, etc.).